Friday, April 27, 2012

Terrific MRI Results!

Terry called me while Steve was driving them home from their appointment with Dr. Hu this afternoon. They have terrific news: the results of the MRI were the best they could have hoped for. There is no sign of tumor or cancer cells and the area of swelling has decreased. The old tumor area has shrunk grossly by about a third compared to their older scans. They are very happy!

More good news.... Steve had blood work last Friday and his creatinine level improved from 2.7 to 2.5, AND blood work from two days ago showed even more improvement at 2.4. He may be a bit slow healing, but I'm glad he is finally moving in the right direction. BUN levels are now on the low side at 8. Platelets are near normal at 142,000, Yea!

The results of all this good news: there is no hurry to start the maintenance chemotherapy. They will give Steve's kidneys a little more time to heal. They see Dr. Hu in two weeks and will decide when to start the chemo after then. Steve can also have his teeth cleaned now that his radiation is done.

Earlier this week Steve turned in his 24 hour urine collection and then Wednesday had his kidney ultrasound. He doesn't get the results of those tests until he sees Dr. Ayuste, the nephrologist, next Wednesday. His next blood test isn't for another week and a half.

Steve says work continues to go well but he still feels fatigued at night. Terry stays busy with the boys and taking care of them all.


4 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa,

    I am testing to see if I can finally comment.

    Great news about the MRI. Terry called me in Texas on Friday, and I was releived that there was no "false positive" that they had been told to expect.

    So.....now let's see if I can post!

    Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea! It worked.

    I'll be down on Friday. See you then :)

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard you were coming down. I was going to call you on Thursday evening...will you be home?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should be... I'll be doing laundry and packing for the weekend :)

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, you should be able to use the "Name/URL" setting. Just write in your name and you can leave the URL address blank. Thanks for commenting. I like knowing that I'm not writing into the air.