Friday, June 15, 2012

Good Doctor's Appointments This Week

Steve and Terry went to the nephrologist's and to Dr. Hu's appointment today. They called me with the good results. Both doctors were very happy and Terry used the word "ecstatic" to describe how the doctors thought Steve was. Some of the details:
Steve's creatinine level is now 1.5 and finally borderline normal. They are aiming for 1.0 like last February's lab value for a goal. The next nephrologist appointment is in two months.
Blood platelets are now 123,000 (normal levels are 150,000 to 450,000), but this is expected due to Steve's recent chemotherapy.
As usual, Steve's neuro exam perfect.
Because Steve did well on his first, lower dose of maintenance chemotherapy, his next Temodar  dose will increase to 200 mg. This one starts on June 26th for five days.
The plan for maintenance chemo is for 12 monthly cycles. That's the five days of chemo and twenty-three rest days.
His next MRI will be July 20th.

Both doctors said Steve was doing fantastic, "that was their word, fantastic". Yeah! Because the glioblastoma diagnosis is so awful, there is no remission. However, Dr. Hu said "we don't anticipate cancer at this time" which will have to suffice.
Steve continues to feel well. He  had a rare sugar treat just before we talked and he was basking in the flavor.

Adam graduated elementary school.  Steve attended the ceremony :)

They have a family vacation coming up to the Grand Canyon. Whoopee!


3 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa,

    I read this today and almost cried. It has been a very long and busy week, and I had forgotten that Steve had Dr's apppts this week (even though I saw Terry for coffee Monday night and we talked about it). My hope is that Steve continues to get this fantastic news for a VERY long time!
    By the way, I love getting my email updates when you update the blog! Thanks for the news!
    Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope, too, that Steve continues with such good news. My goal is that he stays so well that I have nothing to write about and this blog can disappear into ethernet history:)
    Sorry you've been so busy at work (Again!).
    Talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I am SO happy to read this. I also love being able to see where Steve is now and where he was. Great job, mom!

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, you should be able to use the "Name/URL" setting. Just write in your name and you can leave the URL address blank. Thanks for commenting. I like knowing that I'm not writing into the air.