Monday, December 12, 2011

Kaiser

Steve and Terry have had Kaiser for their health insurance for probably twenty years. They have been happy with it since it provided good wellness care, vaccinations and routine office visits. They had both babies born at Kaiser hospitals and Nathan had his appendix out with great results.

I have worked in the healthcare profession for thirty years. I know Kaiser's philosophy is to save costs by managing care. I have seen mostly good care, but not always, and patient's manage to improve with fewer therapy services than other providers offer, shorter hospital stays and faster discharges home with family members providing the burden of nursing care. I think it is great insurance for younger, healthy people. It even works for ill people who don't mind fighting for their care.

I think it is safe to say that anyone reading this can discern that I have been very dissatisfied with the care Steve has received. Steve's condition is time sensitive and Kaiser in Southern California has not been speedy at all. I work with multiple case managers in the Northern California system, which is a separate system from the southern one. The managers I have discussed Steve's case with have told me that they would have been much speedier, including weekend tests, scans and surgeries and that they have provided such care here. I get so frustrated with Steve's Kaiser. Steve had appointments the Monday and Tuesday before Thanksgiving and the Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday after it, but isn't it funny how he had nothing over the long weekend, nor ANY weekend?

A few days ago, I asked Terry to contact the Office of the Patient Advocate from the California Department of Managed Care. She reached them too late on a Friday afternoon to begin a review of Steve's case and they suggested Terry complete their forms for Monday morning review. Terry promised to complete them. I believe Kaiser will behave with more consideration if they know an outside agency is going to be watching them.

On a brighter note, since Steve hasn't had any appointments since his biopsy a week and a half ago, he has spent more time with his family. They put up their Christmas tree in their new house and wrapped their gifts. He continues to take walks, sometimes with Nathan and always with their dog. He eats smaller portions of his healthier food. He has gotten bored even, since he is not working. His word finding problems have not worsened and it doesn't cause too much trouble, I hear. His headaches are usually tolerable and he tries not to take the codeine pills because of the constipating side effect. I understand Steve has been shorter tempered than usual and Adam has started to call Steve's tumor "Mr. Steamie". Isn't that cute? I also liked about two weeks ago when Adam curled up next to his Dad and asked, "How's your cancer today, Dad?" You've gotta love kids :)

Today he had his stitches taken out from the left side of his head. He can shampoo again, whoppee!

Tomorrow he is scheduled with a Dr. Greene from Kaiser. Greg drove back down to attend that appointment and to also be at the Wednesday appointments with Cedars-Sinai and UCLA hospitals. Way to go, Greg. I wish I could be there, too.


1 comment:

  1. Yay for appointments! Adam's comment made me laugh. "Mr. Steamie"! That is so cute. Love you!

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, you should be able to use the "Name/URL" setting. Just write in your name and you can leave the URL address blank. Thanks for commenting. I like knowing that I'm not writing into the air.